Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Casts come off tomorrow....

Almost there....
Smilebox" src="http://www.smilebox.com/images/blogLogoSmilebox.gif" width=386>

Click to play Make your own Smilebox

Well, tomorrow is the day and the final set of casts will be removed. We've been home exactly

two months today and Amelia has had casts since August 2nd, that's eight weeks. Holy cow, no wonder she doesn't like me some days.

I will say that we have made great strides in the two months that she has been home. She is a much happier and pleasant little girl. Of course as I'm typing this she is having a horrendous temper tantrum in her play area. Yep, she is royally ticked off right now. I'm sure I'll arrive to a puddle of crocodile tears and snot. Oh well!

She is much more ready to give up a smile when you come into a room. She still will give the occasional glare, but that mostly happens when I return from being gone somewhere. She is learning that we will come back....just in our own time and not in hers (which doesn't exactly make her happy some times.)

As a friend put it, "parenting these children is not for the faint of heart". She is so right. I knew what to expect, I had read all the material, heard the many stories. But experiencing it for yourself....you just can't imagine. One day at a time...each day gets easier and better. We do have set backs, but continue to trudge forward. For me, it's a matter of not being so hard on myself for setting boundaries and not letting her "run the show". It would be so easy to give into her screams, just to not hear them, just to make her happy. But ultimately, I know I will have to do it. Better to do it now than with a five year old...ICK!!!!!

We see a new doctor tomorrow. Amelia's original doctor has moved to Utah. I'm sad that she will not be here to see this through. I pray that the casts do come off and that her feet look terrific. I know she will still need the shoe/braces. I just hope that she doesn't still need the casts.

I'll be up bright and early tomorrow. Her appointment is at 9:05 and she has to have a good "soaking" before we go to soften the casts. That should be a barrel of fun at 7 a.m. On another good note, it does appear that Amelia had some type of parasite. We seem to have gotten the BMs under control after a round of medicine. Let's hope it lasts!

I'm off to attempt to reason with a screaming 18 month old...yes, Amelia turned 18 months yesterday.

Happy Moon Festival everyone! I'm going to try my hand at mooncakes tomorrow. I know it's late, but I'm still going to give it a try.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,

I will be praying for Amelia and her little footies!
Emma will be home 7 months tomorrow, the 25th! It's hard to believe how fast the time does go. :) Still checking on the Moon Festival activities for you!!
Wendy

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I'm glad she'll be getting her casts off....thanks for the updates about Amelia. It sure is nice to have honesty about how adjusting is....:-)

The Browns said...

You're a good mom.

Jerry

one happy mama said...

Kim,

It's been great to read your updates. You have come so far with Amelia! Your perseverance is paying off! I can see a big change her in feet and can't wait to see post casting pictures. I'm so glad that you finally have those BM's under control - yuck!

BTW, I've tried to email you and my mails keep getting returned. Email me when you have a chance.

Heidi