Friday, May 8, 2009

Millie's post op check up


Steve returned to St. Louis yesterday all by his lonesome with Miss Millie for a her post op check up. This appointment is generally scheduled at the two week point. But since we live so far away, they pushed us out to three weeks to grant us a bit of a reprieve from driving back so soon. For that, we say thank you Team Dobbs!

Anyway, I released control and let Steve take Millie without me! I know, people are fainting and gasping for breathe all over the country! Yes, it is hard to believe that I let this happen. Especially after the night time diaper fiasco (a story for another time). I did this for two reasons. #1~Dear Daughter Number One had a special Mother's Day Program at her school on that exact day that I really needed to be at. I'm so very glad that I didn't miss it. I forgot my video camera, but I'm going to touch base with some other mothers to see if they have Elise on video. She didn't disappoint, "Tacky" was in rare form! #2~Dear Daughter Number Two has taken on a bit of a "tude" lately~not using her manners, throwing her food and toys and just being very nasty. Sleep has been lousy and I've resorted to moving Amelia to the spare bedroom so Elise can get a peaceful nights sleep. I'm happy to say that Millie is coming around to my way of thinking, but it's been ugly my friends. I have explained to her on several occasions that her condition does not give her a license to be rude and mean to everyone around her. I think she got the message.

So back to the important part~the appointment. Steve said that Dr. Dobbs is thrilled with Millies hips and the x-rays look great. We win the prize for the cleanest cast ever and they ranted and raved about how great her cast looked. I'm still scratching my head over that because I haven't done anything except for what they told me. But, whatever, I'll take the compliment.

THE CAST COMES OFF ON MAY 27TH!!!! I'm beside myself with glee! Yes, it comes off and she will have to wear a harness for a couple of weeks, but the cast is coming off at the six week mark, not seven weeks! I'm thrilled. I have to get the details on the harness, but I think it can be removed for bathing and hopefully she'll be able to get into the swimming pool for therapy!

Millie is thrilled and knows that we have reached the half-way point of living in Spicaville! We are on the down hill swing~yahoo!

Now if I can just get my teenager to quit stealing the wheelchair and ripping through the house in it~Millie really doesn't like sharing it with him :-)

3 comments:

Karen said...

So glad she is doing so well- looks like it won't be long 'til you all leave Spicaville-hurrah!
Blessings!
Karen Morris

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

Great news on the spica cast coming off soon!! I'm sure that has a lot to do with Miss Tude even if it shouldn't. I think if I was in one I'd be pretty disagreeable too!!

So, forward you go with this process. How long for the hip harness? When will she be allowed to put weight on her legs/hips?

Gayla Holmer said...

This is the cutest picture of her...she looks so beautiful (I guess because she is)! Just so sweet and innocent here.