Sunday, June 29, 2008

And She WALKS.....


The Morning Look

Yes, our little Miss Amelia is walking! That's right, she started walking with her AFOs on Wednesday, June 18th! It was so exciting and she was so beside herself with pride. The therapist was so proud of her! I was so shocked and surprised! We didn't even have to ask her to walk, she just looked up at me, smiled and started walking toward me. Suddenly, I felt this pressure in my chest. What could it be, I thought? Then I realized it was my heart, ready to explode for joy for my little girl. She fell into my arms and the pure delight on her face was something I will never forget! We hugged and laughed and cried all at the same time!

It really was one of those special moments that I will never forget! I'll never forget the smug little smile on her face right before she let go of the chair and walked to me. I'll never forget how that smiled changed when she fell into my arms and the transformation that followed. Amelia seems so much happier now that she is mobile. It really is amazing. Her gait isn't really pretty, for us, it's beautiful, amazing and incredible.

Doing Pullups...
Now she's walking all over the house without any help at all. She is even walking without the assistance of her AFOs. The AFOs give her a flat foundation to stand on, but they can also make her dependent on them. Imagine my delight when I watched Amelia walk to me without her AFOs. Another special moment.

I talked to the doctor in St. Louis and they were thrilled to hear she is walking. They also said that the more she can walk without the AFOs, the stronger her legs will get!

So hip-hip-hooray for Miss Amelia~she's motoring all over the place.





I just can't stand how cute she is!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

She is just so CUTE!!! I am so glad she is finally walking with no assists. :) Practice Practice makes perfect!! Keep going Amelia!!

Wendy

Middle-Aged Moi said...

She really IS that cute! And here I thought you were just a proud momma...:-) She's adorable, really! I'm really happy that she's walking! GO AMELIA!!!!

The Browns said...

Wow, this is great Kim. This has been a long journey... starting from the time you began doing paperwork to adopt again until now. And I remember your blog pictures and stories when you were in China. These little girls really do change your life for the better. And how we have these cute little girls from the other side of the earth in our homes still just amazes me... makes me grateful... and makes me feel humble as I realize that Someone far greater than me arranged circumstances I could not have arranged to bring these girls into our home.

Jerry

Pamela said...

Wow, they don't come any cuter than her!! She is precious! You must be so proud of her (and yours) accomplishment with walking! Way to go, Amelia!

Blessings,
Pam

Team Houston said...

oh, she is SO cute!

I am crying happy tears for you all!! YIPPY!

You go girl!
Take care, Michele