Friday, October 24, 2008

Button, button, who's got the button????

Another trip down and a few more to go. Amelia's casts were changed this week and she got a new set. She wasn't suppose to get the casts completely changed, was only suppose to get a fiberglass overwrap. But between the two of us, we destroyed the old ones.
I love Dr. Dobbs' nurse, Kristina. I was feeling pretty bad about my motherly responsibilities when it came to keeping these casts in tact until she told me a few of her "worse" cast stories. After the the stories about fly larva, cockroaches and cast removal with a steak knife, I was feeling pretty good about myself.
The very nice gentleman with the saw came in and I had to sit on the table with Amelia and hold her. This requires that I sit behind her and straddle her. Thank goodness I can still sit that way! She's so dramatic...she whimpers the entire time he is sawing, but she can still eat a pretzel. Go figure!
He removed the top part of the cast and I was able to see her legs. Poor thing! She's lost all of her muscle tone, they are dry and itchy and kind of dark. I massaged them for her but was not allowed to put any lotion on them since that can lead to skin break down. Millie was still doing pretty well with everything~no drama~YET! Then they took the legs out of the bottom of the casts and she freaked out over the sutures on the top of her feet. "Look Mama! Look!" She kept repeating and pointing. Then came the bottom of her foot and seeing the "button" for the first time. I have a picture in my mind of a "button", a very small button on the bottom of my child's very small foot. I've got one word~YOWSA! That's some heavy duty button on her feet. IT'S HUGE!
All in all, everything looked pretty good. One of the sutures on the left foot looked a little infected so they treated that and the skin looked pretty good. No harm done this time. We just have to stay really dry for the next 2 1/2 weeks. They recasted her and put bright pink fiberglass on her legs. The button stands out on the bottom of her casted feet, and appears as a rather large bump. She's still not allowed to walk or stand and frankly I don't think she'll have the desire with that gigantic button on the bottom of her foot. The next set of casts will be short legged and walking casts! HOORAH! We're on the down hill side now~or at least I like to think so.
I have to admit, her attitude is amazing and she doesn't seem to be too worse for wear. She's a trooper, my Millie Moo!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Wow, Kim, that's SOME button! I'll have to scroll back through your posts to find out what the deal is with THAT. Sounds like you're making progress with those footsies (and, yes, I would have so totally broke the rules and tried that bath...). Loved your rant post, too. AMEN, sister. All of my kids are either products of adoption or fertility treatments, so I sometimes feel that guilt too...like, no one should ever see me losing it because I "chose" this life. Well, yea, I did. But, that doesn't mean it's all sunshine and roses just like anyone elses life! Grrr...
Have a happy Monday :)
Donna