Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sad to say....we've had a BIG setback


Why is mommy soooo excited about this silly bow????
What???? You want me to be "happy" about this?

So, I've been looking at Amelia's feet and I don't really like what I see. I haven't really liked what I've been seeing for some time. So, I took a bunch of photos and emailed them to Dr. Ponseti last week. Dr. P is the doctor that pioneered the casting process for club feet. He's in Iowa City, Iowa~about eight hours away. I waited very patiently for a response and I got one on Sunday. He stated that Amelia's feet are not fully corrected and he believes that she needs three to four more sets of casts and possible another heel-cord release. So, we're looking at 6-7 more weeks of casts! I was devastated! I got this email after we had spent the better part of this beautiful Sunday, outside with the girls. Amelia had her Pooh push-toy and she walked and walked and walked up and down the side walk. It was so very sweet. She was DETERMINED to go where she wanted to go. I attempted to redirect her a couple of times and she promptly moved Pooh right back where she wanted to go. All the while I was thinking about how nice the summer would be, walking to the pool and getting to swim this year. But it doesn't appear that is going to happen.
What does "folliclely challenged" mean?
O.K, how's this for a smile????

I know, I'm just too cute!

So after I finished crying and feeling sorry for myself and Amelia, I started to realize how blessed we are that she is so very healthy! I know of a few adoptive families who have little girls with life threatening illnesses. We don't have that! We are so very, very blessed with good health. Now the decision part comes in...do I stay in Cincy and have the recasting completed or do I drive to St. Louis to a doctor that is highly recommended for treating clubfoot children? St. Louis is a 5.5 hour drive. We would probably have to do that six weeks in a row, once a week or so. My heart is saying go to St. Louis...I know I won't be disappointed. But I'm afraid I will be frustrated if I stay here.

Please pray for our discernment as we move forward with Amelia's treatment!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your concern and prayer request. I'll pray.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Kim, I can't imagine how hard this must be. I will pray for you for sure.

Unknown said...

Kim,

It sounds like you have some good advice from a good doctor so go with peace to St. Louis. Amelia will be swimming this summer, you can be sure of that! I have a pool and I'm sure it will be good therapy!!! We will make sure she gets her pool time in. We will be praying each time to make the trip.

Wendy