Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Adventures in Chengdu

I woke up this morning a little disoriented. Why was there a hand in my face? What could this be? Then the fog started to clear and I realized it was Elise's hand. But why was she in my bed with me? This is not allowed! And then I remembered, I was in China and there was also another little person in the little crib next to my bed. Fortunately, she was still asleep. What time could it be? As I reached for a clock, I was surprised to see that it was almost 7 a.m. HOORAH! We made it through our first night without incident. It was the latest we have slept since we got to China.
Now the real challenge....getting two children ready for breakfast at once. This is something that I have feared since we were matched with Amelia. But thankfully, the morning went well. I fed Amelia some rice cereal in our room and then she had some fruit at breakfast. She's a good eater! Actually, she eats a lot. Unfortunately, the tendency is to hoard. This is something we discovered on the first day when she had her chubby little cheeks full of food and started to choke. Not good...so now she only gets a few pieces and I check her mouth to make sure it is in fact empty.
Amelia loves playing with her stacking cups. Elise is starting to warm up to being a big sister. She's getting bossy already. I bought an extra set of stacking cups today so they can both have a set. I'll let you know how that turns out.
Stacking cups rock!!!!!

Elise wants you...for something, what I don't exactly know. Let me know if you figure it out.
Today was a free day and we hung out in the room most of the morning. I'm sad to say that my sister is not doing well and will be returning home. Steve spent the entire morning trying to rearrange her flights for her. He eventually had to email the travel agent to handle it. I'm sure it will all turn out fine.

Shopping in Chengdu....
Department store shopping is interesting in Chengdu. It's kind of like Macy's meets Kroger. You walk into the store and it's all these high end perfume and cosmetic counters and in the basement is a grocery. Not joke! It was similar in Guangzhou last time we were here except the grocery was on an upper floor right past the jewelry. Then to purchase something, you have to have a store clerk (which is at about every fifth step), write you up a receipt, you walk to the cashier with the receipt, pay for the item(s) and then return to the clerk with you paid receipt and get your merchandise. In my opinion, it's too many steps. In their opinion, it gives lots of people a job.
Our guide, Andy, took us to find some toys, clothes and diapers for the kids. There was a small play area located on the 7th floor, Elise was in heaven. There stands Steve, the only American man in the store, watching all these Chinese kids playing. I'm sure the other parents were standing around thinking, "Who is this guy? And why is he watching our kids play?" Of course, he enjoys that kind of thing, making people guess what he is in fact doing. He stood there the entire 1 1/2 we were shopping. Elise was in heaven playing on the slide. We are going to have to venture out to find a park so she can run around a little bit. Amelia rode in the hip carrier the entire time without a peek.
She has been very quiet all morning and afternoon. Steve can make her giggle a little and I will occasionally hear a grunt. But no words or anything yet. She hasn't cried much either. I'm still waiting for the flood gates to open. She will hold her arms out to me when I reach for her. My heart flutters in my chest when I see her look at my face and reach for me. Still no big smiles....but I'm patient.
I convinced our guide that we wanted to try a "Hot Pot" dinner tonight. Poor Andy, he seems to want to protect from things. I think we give him indigestion with our adventurous spirits. He tried to talk me out of it...."It's very spicy. Do you like spicy?" Of course I do, that's one reason I want to try it. "It's also very noisy and hot in the restaurant. The children probably won't like it." That's o.k., we want to give it a shot. All I've heard about is the incredible Hot Pot in Chengdu. When in Rome......
So we hitched a ride off of another group of families that adopted several years ago and are here on a cultural tour. We get to the restaurant and of course everyone turns to stare at the Caucasians with the Chinese children. Elise stayed at the hotel with Lisa and Candy. They decided their stomach were not up to this kind of a meal.
The table...before the boiling hot pot.
The hot, spicy oil is now heating. The center bowl has a mild, mushroom sauce that can cook food for those that do not like spicy.
We ate buffet style. It was about $8 US per person....very cheap. They bring out small plates of various meats for you to add to your pot and let cook in the hot oil. Then you have your individual bowl of canola oil that you can add garlic and cilantro too for more flavor. You remove the food from the hot pot with chop sticks (HA HA HA) and then let it cool in the flavored oil.
Poor Steve, he ate literally nothing, but they did have beer! When the rice came out, he was a little happier. Unfortunately the center pot contained a broth that was made from mushrooms. Steve is allergic to mushrooms, so he was out of luck.

Amelia LOVED the food, she was kicking her feet and leaning forward in her chair. I didn't feed her any spicy food. I stuck with the mild stuff. She is such a good eater!
Amelia and Mama enjoying the hot pot dinner.

Boiling hot pot and the various dishes waiting to be cooked.


The Reich family, me and Andy. It's finger lickin' good!

Finally, it was time to go. Getting a taxi turned out to be an exercise in futility for the Reichs. They departed the restaurant about 15 minutes before us. When we got outside, they were still waiting for a taxi. Our guide, Andy, quickly commandeered a taxi for them and their very tired children (I think a trip to McDonalds may have been on the agenda). Now it was our turn to try to get a cab. I noticed that Steve had disappeared and I ask another travel mate if he was possible standing out in the middle of the Chendgu traffic trying to wave down a cab. She laughed, thinking I was kidding. But I wasn't. I know my husband, he does things like that sometimes. As I'm looking up and down the street for any signs of an oil spot, a taxi cab pulls up and Steve pops out of the front seat. Our guide is standing there, mouth agape, asking him how he got a cab. We giggled and laughed all the way back to the hotel over that one.
Tonight's defining moment was when I walked down the steps from the restaurant and Steve was waiting at the bottom holding Amelia. She looked up at me and smiled when she saw me. There was that flutter in my chest again and then the familiar warmth that quickly spreads through me. It was that look you get when your child sees you from far away and runs towards you with arms wide open. Or possible, that look of "Where have you been all my life?" Joy, pure and simple like only a child can show.
It was bedtime when we returned. Steve dressed the girls and I put Elise to bed. She has been completely exhausted at night. Poor little thing, but she's still being a trooper. Then I sat with Amelia for awhile and just played. She was so tired, but she cries when I lay her down in the crib. So, I've been rocking her to sleep.
But the best part is that tonight, she started to babble and talk a little. She repeats mama, mama, mama. It's just precious. I coached her a little on saying baba. She finally started chanting that also. I was holding her and she put her little arms around my neck and gave me kiss after kiss after kiss. Oh my! How could I get so lucky again? How could I be so blessed to have such a precious child.


Baba holding his girls right before bedtime.
The adoption papers will arrive tomorrow. I'm not quite sure what else we need to do as far as paperwork. But our guide can lead us through that.
Thanks for all of the comments and emails. Again, we love hearing from everyone. Feel free to send us emails too. If you need my email, just post a comment and I'll email you. I don't want to post my email on the blog.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Kim,

Just got back from Nashville. I'll call you tonight and tell you all about it.

Something about Amelia looks very familar to me! Wonder what it is?

Missy is still laughing at the little childs split pants. Gracies just cracked up! Oh sure now its funny. I bet it wasn't so funny when it was her butt hanging out.

Hope Candie is feeling better.

Gracie is pointing at the girls. She wants to know who Amelia is. I told her it was Elise's new sister. She's not sure about that.

Talk to you soon.

Love,
Deb

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That was a great post!!!

Unknown said...

Kim,

Sounds like you are having some fun! Your DH reminds me of my DH with his taxi antics. :)

The Hot-Pot looks good. We have a spicy girl too!! Amelia looks and sounds like she is doing well. Those little kisses are so precious after what they have been though. Hope Elise is adjusting to being one of now two empresses!

Wendy

Leslie said...

Kim, Your such a lucky mommy. I love the photos your posting of Amelia and Elise. Such little beauties.

Glad your having a great time and bonding so well with Amelia. I can't wait to meet her once we get together.

She looks like a little baby doll. Too cute.

Unknown said...

Whew girl! I am loving your blog! My husband, Mark, was drooling over the hotpot pix, and I was thinking to myself how chicken nuggets would taste dipped in that mushroom sauce? I am not so adventurous with my food! =-)
Amelia is just glorious! I am sniffing back tears thinking of when I held Meggie the first time... oh don't you just love it????? I hope that Naomi isn't too "old" for snuggling.... we are big snugglers at our house! =-)
So what are you finding about her sn? It looks pretty manageable! Looks like they have done lots of therapy with her, yes? Have they already done the operation? She just looks so sweet and I love her little denim dress! 12 months!!??
Everyone got TA's today at Harrah's and 2 LOA's came in... not ours though.. =-( boo hoo.. I guess I'll have to wait a couple more weeks before I get to experience Chengdu myself! I'm taking lots of notes, so keep the blog updated!! =-)
Hugs to you all! So excited for you guys!!
Kathee

The Browns said...

Hi Kim, seems like the free day provided some pleasant down time... and gave Amelia more bonding opportunities. She sounds like a neat little kid.

I enjoy food experimentation so your "Hot Pot" place sounded fun (except for the spicy part).

And speaking of fun, it appears that Steve is providing good creative comedy, and helping out when needed. What more could you ask for? (I've gotta put in a good word for the guys when opportunities arise.)

I won't pretend to understand the love that mothers feel for their children. In some ways it's the same as what fathers feel... yet it's different. It's touching to hear about the love that's beginning to develop between you and Amelia.

Say hi to Steve and Elise. Have a good day tomorrow.

Jerry

Andrea M said...

It looks like you are having a wonderful time with your two precious girls. The hot pot looked interesting, my dh would be all for that. He's excited because we are going to stay at the Taipei Sheraton when we get dd(in a few weeks, yeah!) and they have a famous sushi restaurant. I don't know what the rest of us are eating though! :)

Lori Lynn said...

Congratulations on the expansion of your family! Amelia is adorable! Wishing you all a safe journey home.

Our second daughter from China was also a Harrah's/Chengdu girl. Pearl has now been home with us for almost a year.

Lori W