Thursday, July 19, 2007

Visiting People's Park

Today was another quiet day for us. We decided to take a taxi to visit "The People's Park" in Chengdu. It was built in 1911 and today is a lovely green space in the heart of Chengdu. There were many people there today. You saw woman doing what we would call line dancing, Tia Chi, some older men with their swords and then lots of grandparents with their grandchildren. Since it is summer break here, the park was full of children. It was a nice distraction today

Naturally, we draw a lot of stares in a city that doesn't see too many fair haired, Caucasians. I've had my photo snapped so many times, I feel like a star.

Line dancing?? Steve wanted to join in, but I wouldn't let him.

Monument to the people in the center of the park


Riding the carousel

A local woman gave each of the children a sucker. She was very kind.


Amelia's first ride...She wasn't too impressed.


Elise was in heaven to finally ride something like the brown horse at Meijers.

Getting ready for bed.
Tomorrow we will visit the Panda Breeding facility and tour the city. It is our last full day in Chengdu and then we head to Guangzhou. The girls are fast asleep. I hope Amelia sleeps through the night. She cried for about an hour in the middle of the night. I think she was mourning, nothing would calm her and it was such a pitiful cry. All I could do was cuddle her.
I've uploaded a video from today. Let me know if it works o.k. I have a few others I can upload if it goes well.



3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am enjoying all of your posts and photos. I am so sorry she is having a hard time at night. You are glowing in all your photos! You look fabulous! How is Elise doing? Is she still doing ok?
Both of the girls are just precious!

Unknown said...

I love the tai chai, it is so graceful. Elise looks happy on the rides and in your lap with Amelia. :) Enjoy your trip to the panda research facility. The people's park in Chendu looks a lot like Shaiman Island. Please excuse my mis-spelling!

Wendy

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I am also really enjoying your posts. Looks like the girls are going great!!!!