Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Farewell Guangzhou....Farewell China

WHITE SWAN LOBBY... Beautiful


Well, our bags are packed and ready to go. I think I have enough clothing packed for the flight. I can only hope that we don't have any major accidents on the plane trip....praying we don't!

It's hard to believe this trip is almost behind us and we are getting ready to head to the Consulate for our "swearing in ceremony". Which basically will consist of a bunch of Americans, huddled into a very cramped room, an American will walk in and say they are all beautiful child. He'll have us raise our right hand and swear that all the information that we have submitted is correct. We'll say yes, end of "ceremony". Thank you for the VISA, Yippee, let's head home.




Red Couch Photo


We had one disaster today. We realized that we did not have Elise's backpack. Yep, Dora is MIA. This is a disaster of epic proportion. ALL of her coloring books, Leap pad, crayons, magna doodle, etc. GONE. I thought my head would explode. We did a HORRIBLE job keeping track of our carry ons on this trip. TRIP HINT....make sure each person is assigned the SAME carry on for the entire trip. It makes life easier. FORTUNATELY, we have located the backpack. We left it at the hotel check in and they are delivering it to our room at any time. Disaster averted!



Here's a question for you....How many Chinese people can you fit into an elevator? I ask this because the Chinese has NO personal space. You can be crammed into a vator and they'll keep getting on. It's unbelievable. The Americans laugh about it, talk about it and compare stories. The best I have heard is the Chinese man who literally straddled some one's stroller. It's almost like they don't realize another elevator is coming. It's the same thing with boarding an airplane. All I can think is, "It's the WHO concert all over!" Everyone runs to the boarding gate at one time and the rush is on! Do they think the plane will leave without them? They don't wait for the light to go out when the plane stops either. As soon as that sucker hits the ground and slows down, you can hear seat belts unsnapping and overheads opening up....'CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK'! What's the big hurry? The plane isn't going to take off again with them on it. I just don't get it!

Precious Chinese Art at the WS



We had a last minute POWER shopping trip. After that trip, we had to return the piece of luggage that we previously bought for a bigger piece of luggage. Sad but true. I'm happy to say I think I have everything. Oh yes, I could have bought more, but I didn't! I controlled myself a little bit. I'm sure I'll get home and wish I had bought more. We will not return for a very long time and it will probably be with our good friends, Tim and Debbie Summerford. We have missed them a great deal on this trip. I think I talked to Debbie four times...each time we had several laughs and giggles. It hasn't been the same without them! Tim and Debbie, start planning that Heritage Tour for about 10 years from now!



I've packed peanut butter sandwichs for the flight since the food is always questionable...our luggage is almost ready to go and we are going to grab a quick bit before we finally check out.


This will be my last post from China. As I type this my heart aches a little for leaving. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be going. But I'm sad for these Chinese children and the heritage that they are losing. Almost all of them will never know any more than what their parents know from their finding ads. A few lucky ones will discover more, but not many. I think of the parents of these children and what they must be thinking. Do they know their daughters and sons are leaving and going to a home in a country so much further away. A country so very different than theirs. How often do they think of the child that they gave up? I pray their choice was made for the child to have a better life and future. That's what the Chinese say to us, "Lucky little girl!" We say, "Lucky family, lucky parents!" "We are the lucky ones"!

During our last trip, I knew I would return for another child (I hadn't let Steve in on that information though). It wasn't as hard to leave! This time, I know this is our last child and final adoption. We won't be back for a long time. I'm good with that this time! So is Steve, if if I wasn't good with it, he said too bad!!!!


So this lucky family of now six, will board a plan to carry another Chinese daughter to a country, a home, a family and a ton of friends that waits to welcome her into the folds of their lives. A family and friends ready to love her and help her to be the best and most she possibly can.



CLICK CLICK...THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME! My ruby slippers are on, my eyes are closed and my heels are clicking. I can smell the coffee on the stove! (That's what Granny would always tell me when I would ask her, "how much further till we get there?" She would say, "I can smell the coffee on the stove, Sissy!"



See you in America everyone! Thanks for following us. Thanks for the emails! Thanks for the love and support. It made life easier here, it brought home that much closer and it chased the homesickness away every single time someone sent us an email or comment!

5 comments:

amy docherty said...

Looking forward to seeing the sensational six! Praying for a safe and uneventful plane ride home!
Love-Amy

The Browns said...

I was laughing at your description of how the Chinese rush to get into and out of planes. I could almost hear the seat belts clicking...

I was sad when we had to leave China two years ago. I was exhausted from the trip and needed rest, but in many other ways, I wasn't ready to leave. Your great blog has let me return again... for a while... and I have enjoyed the virtual trip. Thanks Kim.

You got to experience China again... you wrote a wonderful blog... you've got a beautiful new daughter... and now home awaits. May you have a safe flight and enjoy your reunion with the other two members of the Sensational Six. Until we see you again... Take Care.

Jerry

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I loved your descriptions about personal space too! Too funny. I think I will die when I go there, I DON'T like people in my personal space!

I really hope your trip home goes well. I will be praying for you!!!

Deb said...

Can't wait till you get home. Although I enjoyed our chats on the phone. It brought back a lot of memories from our trip together. Don't worry we'll start planning our return trip with the girls.

I'll be down August 19th. Let me know if you want anything from IKEA before I come.

You did very well on the shopping list. My nephew will be so excited when he gets his sword.

Can't wait to see Amelia. Gracie says tell Elise "Hi".

See you soon, (Click, Click, Click, Click)

Love,
Deb

The Browns said...

Kim,
Just wanted to add my thanks to Jerry's. You did a wonderful job with your blog. I have been showing Rebecca and Emily all the pictures. It brings back good memories for Emily and me. Of course Rebecca has no memories, but she just loves the pictures. Especially if Elise or Amelia are in them. Rebecca is baby crazy. We'll pray for a good safe trip. Hope the girls will sleep on the plane so you can get some rest too.

Vickie