Monday, July 16, 2007

Presenting.....

Amelia SiYuan Wells' adoption day....
We left the hotel with the Riech and Stein families to get our children.
Heidi Reich, Andy (our guide), Nicole Stein and me....waiting mama's

The bus ride was about an hour in the Monday morning traffic. We were snapping photos at first and then we settled in anticipating what was to come.

Excited and nervous......
We pulled up to the gate of Chengdu Children's Welfare Institute (and not a moment too soon for myself since I desperately needed to use the facilities.)
I was impressed from the outside and the inside was no less of a disappointment. It was absolutely beautiful.



Front door of the orphange....

Atrium, first floor of the orphanage

Elise with Jonathon, David and Hailey Reich

After we went to the second floor and the reception room, I had to take a few moments to myself. When I came back to the room, the children had already arrived and Amelia (Yuan Yuan) was at the door waiting for me. The nannies turned her around and started telling her that I was mama.


It was at that moment, when all the pieces fell into place. My heart jumped and then she was in my arms and my heart fell back into place. Then I understood the who, what, why, where, when and how. Who believes I need to be doing this? What am I thinking, adopting another child at my age? Why am I here when my life is great to begin with? Where am I going to get the courage to raise another child? When is this finally going to happen? How am I ever going to let another child into this heart that is so full of love for my children now? So many questions and doubts answered at that one moment, when my eyes met her eyes and my heart fell back into place in my heart. Tears of joy from me and love, pure and simply. My daughter!


Mama's first look at her new daughter....

Holding Amelia for the first time....didn't even have time to take my backpack off.
A daughter with her mama and her baba for the first time ....

Family....there is nothing like the love of family....

Baba's new girl....

She's much smaller than I anticipated, much more baby like. I think she's as small or smaller than Elise was at 13 months. She is wearing an outfit that I sent her, 12 months. YOWSA!

Then the virage of paperwork began. This was something that I didn't do the last time. I know you are wondering how Elise is doing. Well, I'll let you. At first, she would not even acknowledge the fact that Amelia was anywhere in the room. She would not say hello or anything. Not a huge surprise. She was more interested in the Reich family and Nan since they had some great toys that she liked. Amelia took it all in and she did start to sniffle a little. There were a few tears that leaked out of her little eyes. So sad, but I expected it.

Elise in denial....

Mama and her two girls on her lap.

After the paperwork, we were treated to a tour of the facility. We saw the therapy rooms, Amelia's therapy room, her bedroom and the rooms of some of the other children. I have to say that it was very impressive. A nanny brought me a bowl of rice for Amelia to eat since it was lunch time. I was impressed that she would even let me feed her.


Feeding Amelia.....


Amelia's room where she slept and her room mates.
Amelia's bed
Amelia's therapy room
Meeting the other children.


Time to go...

It was an emotional afternoon. We saw many, many children. This appears to be a facility that handles a great deal of children with medical issues. They love and care for these children deeply. Whenever I would walk into a room, the nannies would all start calling to her...Yuan Yuan. She would wave and it just broke my heart to think that they would not be seeing her again. That she would not be seeing them again. I could tell whenever her favorite ones would come into view, she would start to whimper. Just heartbreaking!!!!! All I could do was smile and wave and say thank you.
The ride back to the hotel was long. Amelia was overly tired and just plain exhausted. It was past her nap time and she wasn't giving in to it for anything. Finally, she fell asleep and I laid her in the middle of the bed. The nap didn't last long since Elise decided this was an opportune time to jump on the bed. So, we began feeding her Cheerios. Naturally, they were a hit.
Cheerios are always a winner.


Elise is finally coming around a little.
We returned to the Civil Affairs office about an hour later to finish paperwork. This was also different from the last trip. It went very quickly too....less formal than Elise's adoption. But, I'm not complaining.
Civil Affairs Office...doing paperwork.

Once we left the Civil Affairs Office, our guide informed us that the Notary would meet us in our hotel rooms to finalize the adoption.

At this point, we had made arrangement to change hotel rooms. We are now in a two room suite. It's just LOVELY! We now have tons of room and it will be much more comfortable for all of us! The Crowne Plaza in Chengdu ROCKS!

The Notary came to our room and we finalized the adoption. Amelia is officially our daughter. Things are surely done differently in Chengdu. But that's o.k. with us. Tomorrow is a free day and we are going to have to find a store that sells diapers (I need a smaller size) and children's clothing and toys.

Waiting for the Notary to come and make me a Wells.

Playing with Auntie and Jei Jei

First Smiles....

Amelia fell asleep while I was looking for diapers and slept about 2 hours. She just ate some noodles and she loves bananas. Steve is getting ready to feed her a bottle and then we're going to take Elise to the swimming pool.

To say my heart is full doesn't seem adequate. Thank you God for this day, this child, this life, this gift! Continue to guide us on this path. Although the road may be rocky, we will lean on you for assistance!

13 comments:

Joce and sometimes Shawn said...

Congrats!! She is so beautiful, and a tiny little peanut. Have a great time getting to know your new daughter.

Ruth said...

Kim, Congratulations! She is beautiful and looks like she is adjusting well! Praying the transition continues to be smooth!

Ruth

Pamela Askew said...

Kim,
CONGRATULATIONS! How wonderful that all seems to have gone well. I loved reading your post and all your thoughts about your special day with Amelia. Amelia is very precious! Have a great time in China... I'll keep checking back!

Pam

Switched For Life said...

Oh my gosh, she is beautiful! A huge congrats on your new daughter and I hope it continues to go well for your entire trip!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Kim! I am crying such happy tears for you! Congratulations on Amelia! She is so gorgeous and you are obviously so happy! Can't wait to see more pictures!

The Browns said...

Congratulations Kim! You'll be a great mom for Amelia. And your family will be a wonderful place for her to live and grow. It was a long wait, but you've got a pretty little girl to take home with you.

Wow, your orphanage experience in Chengdu was so different from the experience we had in Fogang. It's hard to believe there's this much variation in the orphanages.

Enjoy your first day... well, by the time you see this it will be your second day. Anyway, have fun with your expanded family.

Take Care.

Jerry

Leslie said...

What a post and what a Beautiful little girl Kim. You have to be such a glowing mommy right now. Two sweet and beautiful girls. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings with your new baby girl.

The Browns said...

Kim,
I was crying happy tears for you. It brings back such wonderful memories frome when we adopted last time. You are absolutely glowing with happiness in all your great pictures. Amelia is so cute. I think it is so neat that you got to feed her and meet everyone. You will have so much more information to give her when she is older.

I loved the Elise in denial picture. Our Emily truly bonded with Rebecca when she helped feed her an ice cream bar. That was a hit with both girls. Also made great pictures. Who knew? If you try it, let me know how it goes. Anyway Amelia looks amazingly settled in with you all. Isn't God amazing?

Vickie

Lisa said...

Congratulations Kim! She is beautiful!

Lisa said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Congrats! What a beautiful little girl and family. I'm so glad that things are going well. God's blessings for the remainder of your trip!

Melinda said...

Congratulations Kim! Amelia is beautiful! I will continue to keep your family in my prayers as you become the "sensational six". I pray Amelia's adjustment to her new family is a smooth one and that Elise also have an easy adjustment! Thanks for letting us follow your journey!

Deb said...

Kim, shes so beautiful. I'm so jealous!!!

I had to crack up laughing when I saw both girls on your lap. Its a pretty picture.

Love,
Deb