Saturday, July 14, 2007

What's in a name....

I completely forgot to post the translation of Amelia's Chinese name.

As you may or may not know, the Chinese put a great deal of thought and effort into their names. So it goes without saying that every adoptive parent wants to know what their child's name means.

Amelia's full Chinese name is Gou Si Yuan. Here is the official translate as sent to me by Adele at blessedkids.com



Gou Siyuan

Translation of the name:

Gou is her last name. It is a traditional Chinese last name. Gou means “provided; if; casual”. It has other meanings depending on the context. Here are some examples.
(1) When “Gou” is used with “Yi Si Bu”, the phrase “Yi Si Bu Gou” means “not at all casual”;
(2) When “Gou” is used with “Bu Yan Xiao”, the phrase “Bu Gou Yan Xiao” means “serious in speech and manner”;

Siyuan is her first name. It can be written as “Siyuan” and “Si Yuan”. Si means “silk; thread-like thing; a tiny bit; very small amount”. Si can have other meanings, depending on the context. Here are some examples.
(1) When “Si” is used with “Chou”, the phrase “Si Chou” means “silk; silk cloth; fabric woven of natural or artificial silk”;
(2) When “Si” is used with “Si Ru Kou”, the phrase “Si Si Ru Kou” means “(mostly of writings or artistic performances) done with meticulous care and flawless artistry”;
(3) When “Si” is used with “Hao Bu Cha”, the phrase “Si Hao Bu Cha” means “tally in every detail; be just right”.

Yuan means “garden; plantation; park”. Yuan has other meanings, depending on the context in which it appears. Here are some examples.
(1) When “Yuan” is used with “Ding”, the phrase “Yuan Ding” means “gardener”, and it can also mean “primary school teacher” figuratively;
(2) When “Yuan” is used with “Yi”, the phrase “Yuan Yi” means “horticulture; gardening; landscaping”;
(3) When “Yuan” is used with “Hua”, the phrase “Hua Yuan” means “flower garden”.

Suggested middle name:

It is a good idea to use “Siyuan” as her middle name, which can mean “little garden”. It sounds good and it is poetic.
Amelia means "hard working"
Red thread time... "Little Garden"...for those of you who know me, know that I love my flower beds and the flowers that grow there. I spend a great deal of time and effort tending them to them. I actually had Elise out there this year helping me with me.
Imagine my delight when I find out that Amelia will be my "Hard working Little Garden" or perhaps a "little gardener".
Only time will tell and that time is fast approaching. I'm nervous and scared and thrilled all at once. How do so many emotions happen at once? I wonder if she will recognize me from the photos that we sent. I wonder what my heart will do once I see and hold her. I look at Elise and think of the two boys at home and think I can't get any luckier than I already am. But God's plan is perfect and I believe that this "little garden" will fit nicely into our big ole farm!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Ok Kimmie, Tim thinks your mystery photo is a Statium for the Olympics.

I still don't remember seeing dryers in the bathrooms. Maybe thats because I was in shock to see the toilets in the floor!

Love,
Deb