Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Water in China...ramblings of a mad woman

As you may or may not know, it is unsafe to drink the water in China. No problem, you say. I'll just drink the bottled water. But let me pose this question and challenge to you. Try keeping your mouth shut while taking a shower! It's unbelievable difficult. Just try it the next time you are enjoying that hot water pounding on your body or your head. Don't let any water into your mouth.

Now let's discuss brushing your teeth. How many times do you rinse your toothbrush out in the tap water? HA! Try remembering to NOT put your toothbrush under the tap water before, during and after brushing your teeth! Try using a bottle of water to rinse your toothbrush!

That's your challenge for today! Good luck Grasshopper!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well..Kim...our guide told us not to worry about the shower water and we did brush our teeth with the tap water. :) We just did not swollow. Now that was hard when rinsing. We were told that the amount of water from both of these was not enough to harm us...we never got sick. :)

Wendy

The Browns said...

Hey Kim I'm with you on that water stuff. When we were in China with you last time I had to actually concentrate on not opening my mouth in the shower. It was very difficult. And tooth brushing was so awkward. I'd have my bottle of water in one hand and my toothbrush in the other, then have to pour the water over the brush and clean the bristles one-handed while not pouring too much water (wasting it). (I know I could have poured some water in my glass and rinsed the brush that way but I don't like cleaning my brush in the glass.) Also, here in the U.S. I often drink water from fountains in public places, so I missed fountains when I was in China.