Friday, July 20, 2007

Chengdu Panda Research Facility

Today was the long awaited Visit to the Chengdu Panda Research Facility. It's a world renowned facility that breeds and houses the endangered Giant Pandas. Elise chanted all morning about seeing the Pandas...and the giraffes and the tigers and the elephants. I finally gave up on trying to explain to her that we were not going to the zoo. She'd figure it out eventually.




We left the hotel at 8 a.m. since we wanted to get to the facility early. The Pandas are much more active in the cooler weather, so we were trying to beat the heat.




Monument outside the Facility Entrance


I'd like to say were were successful in beating the heat, but alas....IT WAS SO HUMID....Humid like Houston or Miami, Florida! UNBELIEVABLE.



The "park" was beautiful. It was full of bamboo walkways that provided shade (not much need for the shade since the sun rarely peeks through the pollution) and some coolness from the heat.


Elise is so excited to see the Pandas.


We first came to the adult panda habitats. Did I mention it was so humid that my clothes are already wet after walking for five minutes and there is sweat dripping down my back? The air was so thick, I thought I was on top of Mt. Phillips again trying to suck in oxygen! Suffice it to say, the Adult Pandas weren't moving much.


This poor guy is sprawled on the concrete trying to beat the heat. Personally, I wanted to join him/her.



We didn't see ANY action from the adults and I was beginning to worry that this would be the trend. We walked around for a good 30 to 40 minutes and then we came to the panda cubs. This is where the action is. Let me put it into parental terms....do you know how your kids will keeping going in any kind of weather? Well, that's what these little guys were doing and they were unbelievably cute. I've attached a few photos and I've also attached video. Try to turn on the volume and you can hear Elise chatting in the background. You can even hear Amelia chanting mama or baba (I can't remember which).


We were also lucky enough to see a month old panda cub. It was very,very small. Photos were not permitted, so we couldn't take any.


Big Panda eating bamboo....waiting for a group of tourists to get their photos taken.


Panda cub walking on his jungle gym


Finally, the Pandas....but no elephants and tigers.



They have toys just like our kids do. But they are clumsy like Gordo!


Way too cute!



A Red Panda





More Panda video



It was a very busy day. I have more stuff to post, but I have to get to bed. We leave for Guangzhou in the morning. I'll post more from there once we get settled into the White Swan.


Elise and Amelia are trying to play together. Elise is coming around a little more each day. I do my best to give her special time, Amelia too. I actually was able to put Amelia down in her crib while she was still awake....she whimpered a little and then was out like a light.
Amelia laughs and giggles and pinches my nose. She really is coming around. She even showed a little bit of temper with me today. She wanted out of my lap in the van and I made her sit still. It's the first time she's gotten mad and cried. I didn't give in and everyone was looking at us during the ride. I just kept smiling! I told her she has a long way to go if she thinks she's going to outlast me! I define stubborn!!!

Big smiles after a big day!
Next post....from Guangzhou. IT'S TIME TO SHOP!!!!!

2 comments:

The Browns said...

All right Kim! I loved today's panda bear topic.

First of all, I don't like hot weather, so as I'm reading your description of the heat and humidity I'm so glad it was cold when we were in China.

The photo of the bamboo walkway reminded me of the bamboo at the Guangzhou zoo. The stands of bamboo have a neat feeling. I've always liked trees and forests, but bamboo gives you the feeling of walking within giant grass.

Your videos were fun to watch... those panda cubs are like bunch of big fur balls.

In addition to your photo, I looked at some internet photos of the red pandas. The red pandas, while not a cute as the giant pandas, have an almost cartoon-like unrealness to their appearance. It's like an artist created them for a movie.

It's nice to hear that Elise and Amelia are starting to play. After 2 years together, Emily and Rebecca are so close I literally don't think they could live without each other. I'm amazed at how much they love each other (when they're not fighting of course).

Have a good flight to Guangzhou. Take Care.

Jerry

Leslie said...

Your videos were so cute today of the Panda's. I also loved hearing Elise and Amelia in the background. BaBa BaBa....so sweet.

Have safe travels to your next stop.