Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Evening update...

So this afternoon and tonight has been quite a bit more eventful.

Amelia ended up getting a blood transfusion. We knew this could be a possibility, but was hoping it would not happen. But her counts were low, she was still running a temp and she's swollen and look like a Sumo wrestler. Her eyes are mere slits in her face :-). We watched a movie together and she liked that. I wish I could hold her but it's rather awkward right now with the cast, tubing etc. Hopefully, they'll remove some things tomorrow and we can get a little closer.

The epidural is hidden under her cast which is very tight from the swelling. The pain management team is having a time trying to determine if the site is o.k. since they can't see it because of the cast. Three doctors were in her room this evening around 6 p.m. trying to decide whether to cut the cast and relieve some of the pressure on her lungs so she could breath a bit easier. After much debate and determining the best places to cut the cast, one of the doctors left to get the cast saw. When he returned, he informed the other two doctors that he phoned Dr. Dobbs and Dobbs said NOT to cut the cast. The look on the other doctor's face was priceless, especially when he said, "You called Dobbs?" "I was just gonna cut the cast and take the heat." I could literally smell the testosterone flowing in the room. Hopefully the swelling will be down and we won't have to worry about cutting the cast. But watching that exchange was worth a thousand dollars~I was looking for the popcorn and considering following them down the hall and see what transpired between them~I'm thinking "Grey's Anatomy" type of sage. O.K., I watch too much TV~sorry!

Her behavior is rather erratic this evening. She is very jerky, probably from muscle spasms. Sleep is not coming easy for her either. I asked for something to relax her, but they have not brought her anything. She has also tried to pluck her IV out of her hand~that wasn't a pretty moment for either one of us.

Praying that tomorrow the swelling is down, the temp stays down and we can get off this floor. Leaving the floor means taking out the epidural~that means pain management will change. Lots to think about there. She wants me to sleep with her, but that's not possible right now. She breaks my heart when she says, "I get down now?"

Well, our good neighbor, Valium, is on the way. The nurse told me to get in bed with her until she settles down. This outta be cozy!!!! Wish I could send a pic, but it's just me and her!

Good night!

No comments: