Saturday, April 18, 2009

The real test....

As I enjoy a most beautiful glass of "Four Sisters" in the kitchen of my home, I gaze upon my two beautiful daughters as they compete for attention and realize the real test is now beginning. Gone is the safety and security of the hospital womb~where our only requirement was to be available for the doctors, therapists and nurses whenever they would call. Life has kicked back in and all that entails.

The ride home was uneventful except for the pit stop at the local Walgreen's to be sure we had pain meds for the 6 hour drive home. Pain management is the key right now and Amelia is scheduled for pain meds every 4 hours. She got a dose right before we left so I knew that I needed to give her another dose sometime during the drive home. The nurses told me that I could move it out to six hours, but I respectfully declined that offer and said I preferred the four hour interval. After standing around for about 45 minutes in St. Louis Walgreen's, we hit the road.

Millie was a champ and even slept for over two hours, a first for her in the car at anytime during any trip. I finally reached back to make sure she was still breathing. Upon our arrival, Elise glanced up from her bowl of ice cream and just glanced in my direction. She then proceeded to devour her before dinner treat. No hi, no nothing! Can you feel what I'm thinking!?!?

Then the competition began....grabbing of the toys and no sharing of new toys...blah blah blah. I bring in the wheelchair and Elise thinks she is going to push it around the house like she does Mamaw's wheelchair. Chaos reigns my friends. I was thankful the bottle had a screw on top and I didn't have to mess with a cork!

I finally got Millie settled in her new, red bean bag and she sat there for a bit. She eventually asked for the wheelchair and I think she prefers the height it puts her at. Giggsey was licking her toes and I don't think she cared for that. Again, chaos!

There were gifts from family and friends and lots of silliness going on. But we are finally settling down and thinking of heading to bed.


Please continue to pray for our adjustment at home. It will be so different and a challenge, for that I am sure. Millie continues to be very pleasant and amiable about her position or lack there of. I just pray that continues as her sister taunts her in that ever so passive aggressive way that she has mastered at the age of five.

Let the test begin.....I'm off to the wine cave!

No comments: