Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Good Morning~First Day Post Op

We had a restful night~gotta love that epidural!
She's having some breathing issues this morning~had a chest x-ray~lots of doctors checking on her. She had a breathing treatment, IPPB (intermittent positive pressure breathing), every four hours for 10 minutes. It's not her favorite thing, but she hangs tough.
There has been a parade of doctors in and out since about 6 a.m. A host of pediatricians stopped in and talked about her lungs. There is a place on the left side that appears to be either slightly collapsed or may be the beginnings of an pneumonia~hence the breathing treatments. We're praying it's neither and she's just struggling with the cast coming up so far on her rib cage.
She's eating o.k., but not much. I'm happy to report that there has been no "throw-up" since last night. All of her blankets are washed and back in use. But the craziest thing is the heated shower cap with shampoo in it that they gave me to wash the "ick" out of her hair. It was so cool. I put it on her head like a shower cap, scrubbed her hair around inside it, dried the hair and voila~the hair is clean. I can't tell you what a relief it was. All I could imagine was smelling barf in her hair all week~yeh, that just wasn't gonna work for me. It really is amazing the things they have available to use today. I wouldn't mind having a few of those shower caps for when I'm camping~don't suppose I could get any of those at Bass Pro or REI do you???? Then there's how much do those things really cost~I'll be checking the hospital bill and let you know.
She's still pretty swollen, but we've moved her around today. I even put her in a wheel chair and pushed her around the hall. We were not permitted to leave the floor since she still has the epidural. Which was a pity since it's beautiful here today. Hopefully, we'll hit the garden tomorrow sometime. She's resting over on her side right now and hopefully she'll blow some bubbles this afternoon. Right now we have her propped up on her side and she's watching "The Little Mermaid".
I'm hoping she'll nap a little and so will I. Seems like we've been going since 6 a.m., oh yeah, we have been. I also fell victim to the gift shoppe balloon trap~yep, I grabbed the Dora balloon and when I went to pay for it my eyes fell out of my head when she said $10~YOWSA! Thank you please, may I have another???? But she loves the balloon and holds on to it whenever I will let her.
Ronald McDonald House has a very nice facility on the 5th floor with food, lounge chairs, computers, showers and washers/dryers. I stopped by but ended up using the hospital laundry to wash the blankets. It's very nice up there though.
We're hanging tough. Thanks for the prayers. She doesn't complain at all. Her only issue is when we move the bed, it tends to scare her and winces a little. But she never says she hurts.

No comments: