Monday, April 20, 2009

Spicaville~Day 6

It's our second full day at home, out of the mother's womb, if you will. Coming home is a horse of a different color when it comes for caring for a child that is spica cast bound. Fortunately, we have a wheelchair that we can use and it has been awesome for moving her around the first floor. Second floor, if rather challenging. Adaptability will be the key over the next six weeks.
On Sunday, we made the trip to Ikea in search of an adjustable height table so Millie can sit at something and play. I've seen where other families have made tables and things like that. But I just wasn't off for that. I know you're thinking, yeah, you just wanted to go to Ikea. I can't deny that. I LOVE IKEA! So we found a marvelous table and then I spotted the cutest sets of play dishes for the girls and I snatched those up. They love playing tea party and serving each other so I couldn't pass them up. Ikea tends to rotate their children's items and you never know if something will be there the next time you come through.
The table works great and Elise even got a hot pink chair that will roll up to the table too. Roll is the operative word right now. Elise wants to push Amelia while she's in the wheel chair. That would be fine if Elise could see over the top of the chair, but she tends to drift to one side or the other and I don't believe that Amelia really appreciates the constant jarring and whiplash that her sister is unknowingly inflicting upon her. Elise's chauffeur license has been revoked until a little more healing is done. But, Millie has decided that "she can do it" herself and pushes herself around in the wheelchair. Yep, not kidding, check out the "Smilebox", last page is a video. She was killin' me.
Millie did get sick last night right at bedtime and she spit up her medicine. I was hesitant to give her more and she went to bed without any. Big mistake!!!! When she woke up this morning, she was a pain and it took about 2 hours to get her settled back down. It's no fun catching up on the pain meds. That won't happen again. I'm happy to say that she's resting more comfortably now.
I had to go through the task of "petaling" the back of her cast. Petaling is lining the inside and the edges of the cast with waterproof tape for protection. It was impossible to get to certain areas while she was in the hospital because she was so very swollen. Needless to say, when I put her on her bell, I was able to put my hand almost the entire way into the cast~that's how swollen she was. Her skin was a little icky so I left her resting there for awhile to "air things out" and then I lined it with tape. The meds had kicked in so she rested comfortably for about an hour on her belly. I have to admit, the sucker bribe helped also.
Tucker has moved his PS3 to the family room while I was gone. He likes the picture better on the new TV~gee~ya think???? I see more of him now than I ever have. He is no longer a cellar dweller. His skin doesn't have the pale hue that I'm used to seeing. I guess it's from all the sunlight he's now getting. He has also claimed the bean bag chair that Steve and Elise got for Amelia~again, check out the Smilebox.

No comments: